Michael E. Milz
Michael Milz joined Brinks Gilson & Lione in 1990. Mr. Milz counsels clients in avoiding U.S. and foreign (primarily European and Canadian) patents. He also prepares and prosecutes U.S. and foreign patents. To date, he has prepared and/or prosecuted more than 100 U.S. patents in such mechanical and related technologies as heavy industrial construction equipment, medical devices, electro-mechanical devices, harvesting machinery, electric and gas fireplaces, office furniture and machinery for the printing/converting industry.
Mr. Milz has significant litigation experience relating to the infringement, validity and enforceability of patents in numerous commercial and industrial technologies. He also has litigation experience in the areas of trade secret misappropriations, tortious interference with prospective economic advantage and breach of contract.
- Leading Intellectual Property Lawyer, Leading Lawyers Network, Law Bulletin Publishing Company, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2009-2012
- Scheffer v. Western Printing Machinery. Second chair in patent litigation involving high-speed machinery for shingling paper products.
- Western Printing Machinery v. Walter Powley et al. Second chair in litigation against former employee for misappropriation of trade secrets, false advertising and tortious interference with prospective economic advantage.
- CFM v. Heat-N-610. Second chair in patent litigation involving direct vent gas fireplaces.
- Carry v. CFM. Second chair in litigation for patent infringement, breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secrets relating to ceramic fiber products.
- Superion v. CFM. Second chair in patent litigation involving rent-free gas stoves.
- Haworth v. Herman Miller. Multi-billion dollar patent litigation involving electric powered office panels and panel systems.
- Viskase v. Grace. Patent litigation involving oxygen barrier bags.
- Motor Wheel v. Kelsey-Hayes. Patent litigation involving automotive wheels.
Envirodyne Engineers, Inc., Chicago, Illinois
Structural Engineer, May 1983 - May 1989
- Chicago Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Member, Intellectual Property Law Section
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Registered Professional Engineer - State of Illinois
- Brinks Announces Practice Group Chairs for 2013, Adds New Task Forces for Germany, Brazil
- Seven Brinks Attorneys Added to Leading Lawyers Network
- 48 Brinks Attorneys Honored as Leading Intellectual Property Lawyers for 2011
- Intellectual Property Law Firm Brinks Hofer Gilson & Lione Ranks Among Top PCT Filing Firms
- Brinks Attorneys Recognized As Leading Lawyers
- Brinks Hofer Gilson & Lione Continues to Lead with 37 Illinois "Leading Lawyers" in 2009
- Brinks Hofer Gilson & Lione's Gary M. Ropski Among Top Ten Leading Business Litigators in Illinois By Leading Lawyers Network
- Brinks Hofer Gilson & Lione Announces Board of Directors, Executive Committee for 2009
- Brinks Hofer Gilson & Lione Continues to Lead with 37 Illinois "Leading Lawyers" in 2008
- Brinks Hofer Gilson & Lione Announces Practice Group Chairs for 2008
- 39 Brinks Hofer Gilson & Lione Attorneys Named Leading Lawyers in Illinois for 2007
- Brinks Hofer Gilson & Lione Announces New Board of Directors and Practice Group Chairs for 2007
- Seven Lawyers at Brinks Hofer Gilson & Lione Newly Named as Leading Lawyers
- Gary M. Ropski and Meredith Martin Addy Named Top Business Lawyers in Illinois
- Thirty-Three Brinks Hofer Gilson & Lione Attorneys Are Named Leading Lawyers in IP in Illinois for 2005
- Thirty-Four Brinks Hofer Gilson & Lione Attorneys Are Named Leading Lawyers in IP in Illinois for 2004